Sunday 12 April 2009

POSSIBLY MY LAST POST ABOUT THE WIRE BUT I DOUBT IT !!!

I tell you with a heavy heart that I watched the VERY LAST episode of The Wire on Friday (Good Friday). I had been putting it off as long as I could because I didn't want to finish it but my burning desire to know what happened, hoping so much that Marlo would get his come-comeuppance, triumphed.

This was Season Five and, for me, the least successful of the seasons because:-

* I knew this was the very last season and I guess I was hoping for some happy endings - as if !!!

* I was very uncomfortable with the main plot concerning Jimmy McNulty and Lester - it just felt all wrong and I knew that everything would unravel but again, I so wanted good to triumph over evil and this is The Wire, after all. There are some personal triumphs but overall the ending is bleak

* Instead of 13 episodes, there were only 10 so it was, perhaps, a little compressed

However, don't think that I shan't watch it again because I shall! Only next time, I'll pick up quite a lot of what just flew past me on Friday and at least I won't have all that happy-end expectation.

The Wire still is, in my opinion, the best TV I've ever seen and it's going to be a very hard act to follow. I've ordered the box sets of The Corner and the drama set in Iraq, both HBO productions, and it shall be very interesting to see what Martin Scorsese produces for HBO. But at the moment I've got The Wire fatigue and I need to watch something like Mamma Mia just for some light relief. But there's no way that I'm going to watch The First Lady Detective on BBC because it's just too twee.

No comments: