Wednesday 6 May 2009

POLLY AND THE BILLETS DOUX





On Monday, Polly and the Billets Doux released their first ever single - Follow My Feet! - taken from their impending CD - Fiction, Half-Truths and Downright lies.

And to mark the occasion, they played a live gig at the HMV store in Winchester. I had forgotten just how good this band is. The acoustics in the place were not brilliant but the group sounded pretty damn good. Polly has just the most beautiful voice and she's a born performer. A delight to listen to.

John videoed the performance, which you can find here



And I took some photos from my coveted position leaning against the counter, as close to the door as I could get. It wasn't a great place to take photos from and I can't yet download them because I can't read the written instructions John wrote down for me (I am such a computer illiterate.) But I'll add them here once I've 'mastered' this complicated procedure. NOW DONE !

Those of us who waited patiently for the group to set up, which was at least half-an-hour, had to contend with people popping in at the last minute and standing right in front of us and thus blocking the exit. So there was a constant battle to move them, by the staff, because of health and safety regulations.

And, of course, I made my feelings known too: "I've been standing here for over half an hour to get a good view and you try and plonk yourself right in front of me," sort of thing and I wasn't taking "fuck you" for an answer.

Lots of copies of the single were sold and rumour has it that Taylor Swift, the American musician making a name for herself in the music industry, popped in to have a look-see-listen.

So, ALL IN ALL AN EXCITING AFTERNOON.

No comments: