Saturday 27 February 2010

CYPRUS BLUES AND WIFENOTSTUPID

I have now finished the FINAL edit of my first novel, Cyprus Blues, and am confident that it's a bloody good novel. I had to make LOTS of changes in sentence structure, delete the multitude of !, and be more inventive with my descriptions. So, I'm very happy with it. No-one else might think it's very good or enjoy reading it, apart from John and Lou and, of course, they would like it, wouldn't they! But I've given it my best shot.

John just has to do some techical stuff: put in the page numbers that had mysteriously vanished, transfer my introductory letter back into the correct format, and at least try to re-adjust the headings without the computer having a nervous breakdown (or me, for that matter).

Now that I've stopped looking for an agent and am going to go direct to publishers, I've chosen Cannongate as my first port of call, because it's recommended by Mslexia, the writing magazine which I rate very highly, AND they publish David Simon of The Wire fame. And we all know, don't we, how brilliant I think The Wire is.

I've already e-mailed Cannongate to find out who I send my submission to and asked the question I've been itching to know for ages: can work published on the internet still be eligable for book publications?

And since the answer was YES, I've decide to put Cyprus Blues on the net, at least until I find a publisher.

If I nag - sorry, ask John nicely, it'll be done tomorrow. But it won't be on this blog, although, of course, I'll let you know where to find it. I might be daft but I'm not stupid!

And this is where my new bogsite - sorry, blogsite! - comes in.

Wifenotstupid

On Valentine's Day, John and I polished off a very nice bottle of champagne so we were a bit, you know, in a stupid mood. And whilst we were watching television, some-one said wifenotstupid and I said immediately, I've got to have that domain name - it's too good to miss. Since John's You Tube site is daftnotstupid, it seemed like a good omen.

Anyway, the next day, my darling husband registered the name. But then I was left thinking: what do I do with it?

This blog - maggieknutson.com - is already jam-packed with a variety of writings. Ergo, the sensible thing to do is to put my creative writing in this seperate blog. So, as I take a much needed break from novel writing, not only will Cyprus Blues be posted, but some of my short stories, which, of course, I'll re-edit because I'm very thorough.

SO WATCH THIS SPACE.

By the way, if you google/bling (bing?) wife not stupid you'll probably not find me there yet, cause I've not had any hits yet. However, If you want to read about some guy who's written about giving his wife an orgasm, you'll be well happy if you type in that name!

No comments: